Friday, July 11, 2014

A time for change.



In August I’ll have been in Oaxaca, Mexico 12 months.
I came here with a plan to learn Spanish and then be off to Queretaro. I was thinking I already knew a thing or two. Within the first few weeks of living here and studying here I was humbled and realized no, I don’t know a single thing. So instead of being prideful I was humbled. I quickly was aware of how little I knew and became hungry to learn. So here I am now I have graduated and still have so much to learn. If anyone thinks it’s normal to attend a language school for 3 months or even 6 months and expect one to be fluent… I’d say that’s unlikely. Oh but there has been an improvement! I’m amazed at all I’ve learned in this time, thankful for what my brain does understand. But like I said I came here for a purpose, as tempting as it would be to stay here.
I’m thankful for this time living among these people, learning their ways and traditions. Compared to life in Queretaro, Mexico life here is pretty different and these are the things I’ve grown accustomed to. In the nearby city I know my way around and can travel there and home just fine. I’ve loved the way of transportation, sitting in a 15+ passenger van with the windows rolled down for only 30 pesos. I’ve loved being surrounded by greens and bright flowered trees. I’ve even just recently learned how to have peace in the thunder and lightning storms (while inside my home ;). And my body is somewhat used to the climate.  I’ve grown accustomed to these people that have loved and this family that I’ve learned to love. These are the same people that welcomed this wacky white girl into their home for 12 months. I was allowed to invade their space and get to know them deeply.  These are the same people who laughed while watching me eat their spicy foods and watching me sweat. These are the people who fed me Iguana, eggs of who knows what, ants, grasshoppers, turtle, fish, clams, crayfish, giant shrimp, crabs, and possibly other prohibited foods that I didn’t bother to ask about. It’s been great… this place, this year has been a blessing. I’ve found beauty here and hardly want to leave.
Now September is coming and I’ll be in Queretaro, Mexico. I’ll be living there working with only a few of the many, many deaf within the state. I’ll be living and working with my friend Marisela Cano who has been reaching the deaf and has been teaching them alone. I could quite possibly be in Queretaro one year or 20 years. Who knows maybe God will call me back to California. He won’t lead me where he doesn’t follow.
As of now I am living from week to week in Gods faithful care. I get to trust him with my needs and it’s gotten easier to do so because he has been providing in crazy ways down to the details.
I want to be honest with you saying that I am only able to do this with YOUR partnership in this. This is only one tiny part of what God is doing among these Mexican deaf people. I need 500 dollars monthly for living expenses. This is 500 dollars each month to live in Queretaro, Mexico compared to the 150 dollars right now in this small Oaxacan town. This has got to get going. With so much to do it can be overwhelming while thinking about all the need but we can start somewhere. My goal this year is 6,000 dollars, cant wait to see what God does this year.

 By sending me the Gospel of love has the opportunity to spread among a MAJOR unreached people group, the deaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment