Friday, October 18, 2013

I attended my first funeral today



Journal entry 
15 October, 2013 



And the whole time all around me, all I noticed was life. The man who passed away was the father of a woman whose family is involved with the church + base. Two of the Spanish School students live with the family. I hear that the man was a believer in Jesus as his Lord + Savior, the Way… so really it was a celebration. It was a celebration of a soul that is now forever + always praising in heaven, healthy, + united with our Bridegroom, Jesus.

My family + I arrived a few minutes after 5pm at the building where the church, friends + family all was. The crowd standing around seemed like ½ the town of Cacalote. People were inside + outside the building watching + listening. When my family + I arrived two men were playing their guitars + singing with the crowd clapping along to the beat. The family of the man was standing around the casket. There were no chairs only standing room + people were only along the walls of the building not in the middle of the room. About 20-25 minutes later after some church leaders spoke, encouraged, + prayed we all hoped into different cars, trucks, + vans headed to the beach. (Here in Cacalote normally instead of cars, the people walk the way to the beach with the casket but because of the river being full we all drove.) It is a big thing here, everyone comes to support… family, friends, acquaintances, + random folks (me) join in to be with the family. Here the more rural area, the people do not wear black clothing for funerals.


Our car/taxi was the 3rd to arrive out of about 15 or more cars with loads of people. We hopped out + flooded to the grave. The graveyard is right on the beach about a 30 second walk east from the sand + the waves. The pastor, ministry leaders, and 'a family member or two spoke but it all took time, nothing was rushed. Cathy (my aunt here) + I stood in the back with our backs facing the crashing waves. Standing in the back with everyone in front of and all around me that was when I noticed all of the life that surrounded me. More specifically little humans/babies! This man who passed lived a life + now I was seeing new lives with a few weeks’ olds + a few months old + a few years old. Brand spankin new to this world. Life is a crazy thing, a wild thing + a precious thing. Like a baby my eyes, ears, nose, hands, + mouth cannot take in enough.  I take for granted these senses God has given me + trusted me with. I want to take in life + learn to live, as Heaven holds me. 


Some of the babies





This woman is Cathy (my Oaxacan aunt/hair stylist)
The little girl behind the baby is my "fonetica"teachers daughter





 
our view from the back



 






No comments:

Post a Comment