Sunday, May 26, 2013

Highlights



 After High school, when deciding to come to Rancho Sordo Mudo in 2011, I had no set plans for my future. I came to serve and never decided how long I would stay, I thought I'd stay here until God showed me otherwise. 
I came thinking they would find some work for me to do. Well they found work... I started team teaching with Olivia (another teacher) in October  and then had a class of my own the rest of that year.  Looking back remembering that CRAZY class, it was insane! So many emotions for us all. I had no clue what I was doing here, how to do the job, or how to love these kids. Lots of praying and lots of crying for both me and my students. That first year felt like everything was being thrown at me. But God did not stop guiding me and I because of Him I did not quit. 
It seems the first year God was breaking me and preparing me for the second year to come.  My students the second year were completely different little people with different personalities.  There was less anger and less fighting but more crazy and more exhaustion. My little guys (plus 3 big guys) were nuts the first few months and I had help most of that time. Only one student physically fought us almost daily and was a struggle this year but has improved in big ways. God has blessed him with so much joy, always laughing and I think God has used that boy to teach me, I never thought that could happen. I have been blessed this year to see so much improvement in my students. Kids that came here with little or no language, not yet communicating. Now they know their names, they are expressing  their feeling, and they are starting to understand that they are creation made by God who loves them. I have been blessed with students who love to pray and encourage me and remind me to pray.  I have been able to see so much confusion and anger change to more understanding and love.  It is amazing to to a part of this process, not easy and not always fun... at times very honest, raw, and ugly, but God is always so good.
I had the opportunity to go to Rosarito for 3 days with most of the kids here. It was such a great break from school and from most responsibilities.


This is Leticia, it was her first time seeing the ocean- this was her experience! 
 
Signing "Cold"

signing "cold" again




More photos from the trip.

Dinner with my gals.


hangin out with the goats and sheep!


Eddie


Isabel, Marisela, and Dayan with their giant kelp






boat ride in Ensenada!

& the seals! Monsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment